If the accused person contacts you

It's very common for a victim of crime to know the person who committed the crime.

The accused person might try to contact you to: 

  • scare or intimidate you
  • explain why they did it
  • apologise for what they have done. 

You should avoid any contact with the accused person or their lawyer.

What to do

You should contact the police investigator if: 

  • the accused person tries to contact you
  • the accused person's family or friends try to contact you
  • there is any threatening behaviour towards you or your family.

In an emergency, call the police on '000'

Family Violence

If you are a victim of family violence, the police can ensure your safety by:

  • removing the perpetrator if they are at the scene and are committing a crime/breaching an intervention order
  • referring you to a service that can support you
  • referring you to emergency accommodation if it is not safe to stay in your home, and you want to go
  • help you safely leave the premises
  • if necessary, stay at the scene until you and your family members can be removed from risk.