Getting information about the court case

Find out how to get information about court cases in Victoria.

If you do not know the accused person's name, you can contact police to get details about the court case.

You can find information about court dates from Victorian courts. Always check court dates because they can change at short notice.

You can ask the court for information about the outcome of the case.

When a person is charged, the police should contact victims to let them know.

They will give you details such as:

  • the name of the accused person
  • the type of court the case will be heard in. This could be the Magistrates’, County or Supreme Court
  • how to find out the date, time and place of the court hearing.

You need to know the accused person’s name

The name of the accused person is important information because it will help you find out about the case if you have any questions or need to know when and where a court hearing will happen.

Sometimes the police may not be able to give you the name of the accused person. This may happen because:

  • sharing that information could put someone in danger
  • the accused person is a young person (under 18 years of age). Police are not allowed to share any information that could identify a young person.

If you do not know the name of the accused person and need information about a court case, you can contact the police officer in charge of the case for information.

It is important to understand that police are not able to give victims any other personal details about the accused person.

Notice to Victim form

In some investigations police will give you a Notice to Victim form. They may do this when they take your statement, or they may send it out later in the mail. If you do not receive the form, you can contact police and ask for one.

This form has some important information:

  • the name and details of the police officer who is your contact (they can be called the police investigator)
  • the Member Station – the station that the police investigator works from
  • an Incident Number that helps police keep track of your case.

It is a good idea, if you can, to keep any documents you get about your case together in a safe place. When you contact police, tell them the Incident Number for your case.

If you cannot find your form, did not receive one or have not been given the accused person’s name, you can call:

  • your police contact, if you know their details
  • the Victims of Crime Helpline on 1800 819 817.

Find the date of a court hearing

There are three types of court in Victoria and each has their own website, where you can find the date of the court hearing:

The Magistrates’ Court

Go to the Magistrates’ Court court case search on their website and:

  1. click the Case Search button at the top of the page
  2. select the button next to Criminal list
  3. put the accused person’s name in under Defendant/Accused/Respondent
  4. click the Search button.

The County Court

Go to County Court’s Court schedule – Crimes and Appeals list and you will find a list of hearings for the following day.

The Supreme Court

Go to the Supreme Court’s Daily Hearing list and you will find a list of the hearings for the following day.

You can also call the court and ask for hearing details. You will need to tell them the name of the accused person.

Contact phone numbers are:

Always check the case details the day before

The court process can take some time and court dates often get changed or delayed. The prosecution team will do their best to let you know if this happens.

Sometimes delays happen at short notice, including on the day of the case. Make sure you check the case details the day before the court case is supposed to happen.

Get information about the outcome

You do not need to be in court to find out about the outcome of the case. The law in Victoria says that police should provide you with this information.

You can ask the police officer in charge of your case about the outcome. You can also apply to the courts for information such as:

  • a copy of the final decision
  • an audio recording of what was said at the hearing
  • a transcript – a written record of what said and who said it at the hearing.

You can learn more at the following websites:

You can also contact the Victorian Government Reporting Service (VGRS) to ask for a copy of a court transcript for criminal trials that occur in the County and Supreme Courts.

Please note that when the accused person is a young person and the case is heard in the Children’s Court, case information is not published on the website. You can contact the police officer in charge of the case for more information.