Victims Legal Service

Free legal advice and support for victims of crime who need assistance to get financial assistance or compensation, protect counselling and health information, and report to police.

How to seek help

If you or someone you are supporting needs help, you can call the Victims Legal Service Helpline on 1800 531 566 from 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

The Victims Legal Service Helpline is a specialist advice line that will provide:

  • legal information
  • legal advice
  • referrals.

The Helpline:

  • is available to all victims of crime who require legal advice on their Victim of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT) application
  • can assist with making applications or enforcing orders for restitution and compensation from an offender.
  • can assist victim-survivors of sexual violence to protect their confidential counselling records and health information from being disclosed in a court case
  • can support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander victim-survivors report sexual violence to police.

You can also contact the Legal Help Chat via the Victoria Legal Aid website and click on Legal Help Chat at the bottom right-hand corner.

If you speak a language other than English, you can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask to speak to Legal Help who will put you in touch with the Victims Legal Service Helpline.

The Victims Legal Service provides free legal advice and support to victims of crime who need help to:

The Victims Legal Service is delivered in partnership by Victorian Legal Aid, Community Legal Centres and Aboriginal Legal Services.

The Victims Legal Service is not able to assist with all victim-related legal matters. This includes if you need legal support as a witness in a coronial matter or other civil process that does not relate to financial compensation through VOCAT or Restitution and Compensation Orders (RACOs).

If the Victims Legal Service is unable to assist you, staff will refer you to a service that may be able to provide the support you need.

If you need further legal assistance, the Victims Legal Service Helpline may refer you to one of the Victims Legal Service providers listed below for:

  • ongoing legal support for a VOCAT application,
  • applications for or enforcing orders for restitution, and
  • compensation from an offender.
Victims Legal Service ProviderVictims Assistance Program Region
Victorian Aboriginal Legal ServiceStatewide
Women's Legal Service VictoriaStatewide
Eastern Community Legal CentreEastern Metropolitan
SouthEast Monash Legal ServiceSouthern Metropolitan
Inner Melbourne Community Legal Western Metropolitan
Northern Community Legal CentreNorthern Metropolitan
Gippsland Community Legal ServiceGippsland
Ballarat and Grampians Community Legal ServiceGrampians and Barwon South Western
Mallee Family Care Community Legal CentreLoddon Mallee and Hume
Victoria Legal AidStatewide

If you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander you may choose to be assisted by an Aboriginal Legal Service provider (including Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service or Djirra) or a mainstream service that is culturally safe (outlined in the above table).

Djirra also provides support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women wanting to report sexual violence to police.

If you need further assistance with protecting confidential counselling notes and health information, the Victims Legal Service Helpline may refer you to Victoria Legal Aid or Women's Legal Service Victoria.

If the Victims Legal Service is unable to assist you, you can also seek legal assistance from a Community Legal Centre not listed above or from a private lawyer.

Find a community legal centre

Find a private lawyer

Where can I go for further support?

The Victims of Crime Helpline provides information, support and referrals to assist people to manage the effects of crime.

Call 1800 819 817

Text 0427 767 891

Open 8am-11pm every day.