How to report a crime

Find out your options for reporting a crime in Victoria.

If you need support, you can ask someone you trust to help you contact police.

The Victims of Crime Helpline can talk about your options about reporting a crime. Call 1800 819 817.

When you report a crime, you may be given or sent a Notice to Victim form that has important information about your case.

There are a number of ways to report a crime.

If anyone is in immediate danger or a crime is currently occurring, please call police on Triple Zero (000). You can also go to your local police station to report a crime.

For crimes that are not urgent you can:

Help with reporting a crime

For some people, the idea of reporting a crime can make them worried, scared or uncomfortable. You can have someone you trust, like a family member or friend, with you for support when you talk to police.

If the crime involved family violence or sexual assault, you may have already spoken to your doctor or someone else you trust. They can help you with what to do next.

You can also contact the Victims of Crime Helpline on 1800 819 817 to discuss support options available to you.

What if I am not ready yet?

Although there are good reasons to report a crime, even if you are not ready, you can still:

  • discuss your options with police before formally reporting a crime
  • contact the Victims of Crime Helpline for support and advice on how to keep safe.

Making a report to police

When you make a report, tell the police exactly what happened. You may be asked to make a statement or help them to identify the offender. In some cases, a specialist police member, such as a detective or a member of the Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Unit may also investigate your case.

When you have reported a crime, the police may:

  • give you a Notice to the Victim form which provides information about support services and the name of the police officer in charge of the investigation
  • explain the investigation process
  • ask you if you want to stay informed about the progress of your case
  • ask you how you would like to be contacted
  • refer you to support services if you need them.