You have a right to be kept informed

The law in Victoria says that the police must keep you informed about how the investigation of your case is going.

Sometimes, police may not be able to give you all of the detail if it could affect the investigation.

Contacting police for information

If police gave you a ‘Notice to the Victim’ form, it should have the name and contact details of the police investigator working on your case. Sometimes, police will send this form to you in the mail. 

The form might also have an 'Incident Number'. This is the number police use to keep track of your case. When you contact the police investigator, tell them the Incident Number from your form.

Sometimes it can be difficult to get in contact with the police investigator looking after your case. Police officers work different day and night shifts, and sometimes they may have a few days off in a row.

If you are having trouble contacting the police investigator:

  • call the police station listed under 'Member Station' on your Notice to the Victim Form. You can find the phone number for the station on the Victoria police website (External link)
  • ask to speak with the officer in charge.

The officer in charge will be able to help you.