There are a number of ways to report a crime. If you feel uncomfortable, ask a friend or family member to be with you for support or contact the Victims of Crime Helpline on 1800 819 817 to talk about your options.

If the crime is serious and urgent, call '000' immediately or go to the police station.

If the crime involved family violence or sexual assault, you may have already spoken to your doctor or someone else you trust. They can help you with what to do next.

Making a report

When you make a report, tell the police exactly what happened. You may be asked to provide a statement or help them to identify the offender. In some cases, a specialist police member, such as a detective or a member of the Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Unit may also investigate your case.

When you have reported a crime, the police will:

  • give you a 'Notice to the Victim' form which provides information about support services and the name of the police officer managing the case
  • explain the investigation process
  • ask you if you want to stay informed about the progress of your case
  • ask you how you would like to be contacted
  • refer you to support services if you need them.